All Hallow’s Version – Streetsblog New York Metropolis
The mayor devoted a good portion of his Wednesday press convention to speaking about Halloween and the pleasant reminiscences it brings again for him as a Brooklyn father or mother.
It was candy and all, however he missed a fantastic alternative to induce all neighborhoods with actually good open streets — taking a look at you, thirty fourth Avenue, Willoughby Avenue, Berry Avenue — to show these roadways into open-air trick-or-treating venues for the neighborhood youngsters.
There’s already discuss that Jackson Heights mother and father will line the sidewalks subsequent week (with bowls of sweet!) as youngsters promenade with their costumes and sweet-filled baggage.
Mayor, put in your finest costume (pajamas, perhaps) and be a part of them!
In different information:
- Newsday made an early bid for a Pulitzer with a deep investigation on racial bias in visitors stops in Suffolk County – a tribute to nice native journalism and poor policing.
- Gothamist received a second day trip of fears of NYPD bias if there’s post-election violence — and likewise added within the additional time angle!
- A Queens pedestrian was killed in what continues to be a really bloody 12 months (NYDN). Additionally, there was protection of the Manhattan pedestrian who died after being hit by a Revel moped rider final month (NYDN, NY Post, Streetsblog, WSJ).
- The Citi Bike van driver who injured a girl in Brooklyn the opposite day was charged with failure to yield, a rarity. (NYDN)
- Our buddies at Bloomberg/City Lab did a protracted learn on what outside eating ought to seem like when it will get actually chilly — and highly polluting heat lamps should not the one answer. Additionally talked about: How the streets could be repurposed for retail, too.
- Cargo bikes! Cargo bikes are the one solution to save our cities! (Shift)
- The Times received on the brand new subway map story, lastly. And the Paper of Record also finally received on the Amtrak story, too.