‘Come On and Zoom-a Zoom-a Zoom-a Zoom’ Version – Streetsblog New York Metropolis
Streetsblog is a COVID-era telecommunications scandal-free zone. If you wish to examine that, click on here, here or here. Suffice it to say, all of us dwell in glass homes, so it’s finest to not throw stones.
Now, for the actual information, yesterday was a giant day:
- Everybody was obsessive about the momentary shut down of the mayor’s signature transportation initiative — the extremely sponsored, water-borne wealthy particular person’s ferry — in a bizarre, completely avoidable snafu with a brand new property proprietor (which was fastened by shut of enterprise anyway). Sure, Streetsblog lined it, however so did Guse at the Newsuh, a full team of Posties, the Brooklyn Paper and Gothamist. However Shabazz Stuart pointed out on Twitter that everybody missed the purpose: If we devoted even a tiny fraction of our power and concern in the direction of actual transit — like buses, which disappoint a whole lot of hundreds of individuals day-after-day — possibly we may enhance town.
- You gotta love the brand new New Yorker cowl (proper)! Here’s an interview on biking with the creator, R. Kikuo Johnson. That mentioned, increasingly publications are promoting the biking life-style — so it’s changing into increasingly necessary for the de Blasio administration to do extra. And Johnson may have been extra correct if he’d set his picture on the Queensboro Bridge, the place cyclists and pedestrians crash day by day as a result of town has not created sufficient area for the wonderful picture in Johnson’s head.
- Former federal transit man Larry Penner breaks down the LIRR’s $2.6-billion Principal Line Third Monitor venture — and has some good issues to say. (Mass Transit)
- In the meantime, the MTA goes to save lots of a tiny amount of cash doing one thing it in all probability ought to have executed years in the past. (NY Post)
- A girl was critically injured when she was run down by a van driver in Brooklyn. (Twist: It was a Citi Bike van.) (NY Post)
- Right here’s one method to enhance transit: Town is engaged on a plan to deliver muncipal staff again to their workplaces (WSJ). One other method, after all, is for the mayor to journey the bus or subway in a present of solidarity, however he way back referred to as that “low cost symbolism.”
- In case you missed it, somebody turned the “Maintain Six Ft Away” indicators in Tompkins Sq. Park into one thing way more significant. (Village Sun)
- And, lastly, rapper Wiz Khalifa is sick and uninterested in you buzzing him when he’s on his bike!
If I’m ridin my bike wit my child please gradual tf down. Matter reality, park bitch.
— Wiz Khalifa (@wizkhalifa) October 18, 2020