This week, our cartoonist Invoice Roundy goes nationwide!
After Streetsblog USA revealed not one, however two, tales in regards to the sham of the federal authorities’s first-ever “Pedestrian Security Month,” our rapier-thrusting editorial draftsman cranked out a comic book that captures his — and our — visceral response to the nation’s ongoing lack of concern in regards to the deaths of 1000’s of pedestrians yearly.
Pedestrian security month is only a Trump Administration press launch. What’s actually wanted, as Streetsblog’s Kea Wilson identified in her tales, is 5 pragmatic enhancements:
- Require the set up of pedestrian detection programs, automated emergency braking, and different automated driver help expertise on all new automobiles;
- Require the set up of programs that onboard alcohol sensors or different applied sciences that detect erratic driving conduct from drunk motorists on all new automobiles;
- Require automakers to revamp hoods and bumpers to make automobiles extra forgiving in crashes involving pedestrians and bicyclists, utilizing higher crumple zone technology;
- Improve headlight visibility requirements for brand new automobiles to assist stop the 76 percent of pedestrians crashes that occur at evening;
- And final however not least, lastly be part of the remainder of the planet in requiring automakers to check how protected their automobiles are for weak highway customers within the occasion of a crash, moderately than just the people inside vehicles.
Discover that not one of the above even asks for the apparent: sustained prosecutorial motion to get repeat reckless drivers off the highway (a driver’s license is a privilege, not a proper) and redesigning our cities in order that roadways actively discourage dashing. You don’t want cops for both of these issues.
All of Invoice Roundy’s editorial cartoons are archived here.