Indulge us as we mourn the lack of a fantastic member of our tribe, reporter and columnist Jim Dwyer, who died on Thursday at simply 63. (His Occasions obit is here. The Daily News supplied a photograph gallery, the Post an obit, and the Times added a set of excerpts.)
Anybody who received into this enterprise within the Eighties needed to be Dwyer, who lower his tooth as a transit reporter at Newsday and as a columnist for the Day by day Information — a man who spoke New York so fluently that even the Occasions couldn’t ignore it, plucking him from the tabloid pinnacle to be a normal project reporter in 2001 (he would quickly slide into his logical function: the About New York columnist).
We at Streetsblog will miss him vastly, and provide as our personal tribute two must-read items: Aaron Naparstek’s 2007 story about the lack of bike parking at the Times’s new building (now it may be informed, Dwyer was a key supply), and Dwyer’s own 2017 column (through which he stared down demagogue State Senator Simcha Felder, who needed to lift, not decrease, the velocity restrict on lethal Coney Island Avenue — due to Dwyer, it by no means occurred).
Relaxation In Peace.
In different information:
- We hate double-parkers, too, however we don’t pull weapons on them! (NYDN)
- Many eating places can’t make the most of metropolis guidelines permitting for eating area within the curbside lane. (WSJ)
- Amtrak wants federal COVID reduction cash, too! (NY Post)
- Subways are getting crowded once more, the Post reported. (Look on the brilliant facet! New York could slowly return to its horrible outdated self!)
- And eventually, from the project desk: Members of Riders4Rights, the First Modification group that bicycle owner Sarah Pitts supported, will maintain a memorial journey for the killed bicycle owner on Saturday from 1?4 p.m., together with the set up of a ghost bike. The journey will begin on the McCarren Park Consolation Station (Purple Home) at 903 Lorimer St. between Bedford and Driggs avenues in Brooklyn. Gridlock Sam within the Day by day Information provides different occasions this weekend that might have an effect on the way you get round, together with, probably, rioting Hasidic Jews (not that the NYPD will do something to cease the violence, in fact, as the Post reported).
Native New Yorker. Travel addict. Hardcore thinker. Analyst. Pop culture fanatic. I live in Queens with my wife Linda and our dog Clemenza.