Traveling can be an exciting yet exhausting adventure, filled with the thrill of exploring new places and the hassle of managing luggage. At John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), one of the busiest airports in the world, numerous services are available to help alleviate the stress of luggage management. The availability of luggage storage facilities can be especially useful, whether you’re transiting through, visiting New York City for a day or two, or arriving ahead of your check-in time at your accommodations. This article provides a comprehensive overview of all the luggage storage options at JFK airport.
History of John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), located in Queens, New York City, is one of the most recognizable airports worldwide and is a significant gateway for international and domestic travel. The airport, originally known as Idlewild Airport, officially opened in 1948, and its name was changed in 1963 in honor of the 35th U.S. president, John F. Kennedy, following his assassination.
Today, JFK is operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and is one of the busiest airports in the U.S., handling over 60 million passengers annually before the COVID-19 pandemic. It offers over 90 airlines, with direct flights to and from cities worldwide.
JFK’s eight terminals (Terminals 1 through 8) each serve specific airlines or airline alliances. The TWA Flight Center, despite ceasing operations in 2001, has been reborn as the TWA Hotel, a testament to the airport’s continued connection with its rich history.
Excess Baggage Company
One of the primary luggage storage providers at JFK is the Excess Baggage Company. They operate from various terminals within the airport, offering secure and affordable storage solutions. The Excess Baggage Company offers both short-term (a few hours) and long-term (several days) storage facilities.
- Terminals: Their services are available in Terminals 1, 4, and 8.
- Prices: Prices range from $4-$16 per item per day, depending on the luggage size.
- Hours: The storage facilities operate 24/7, adding a layer of convenience to travelers arriving or departing at unusual hours.
Terminal 4’s Secure Luggage Storage
Terminal 4’s Secure Luggage Storage is a standalone option available at JFK. Managed by IAT, this facility provides short-term luggage storage service. This service can be particularly helpful if you’re waiting for a connecting flight and want to explore the city without the burden of your luggage.
- Terminal: Terminal 4, pre-security area.
- Prices: Charges range from $4-$16 per bag per day, based on size.
- Hours: Operational hours are 24/7.
Wrap-A-Bag is another luggage service provider at JFK. Though best known for their luggage wrapping services, they also offer storage solutions.
- Terminals: They operate from Terminals 2 and 5.
- Prices: Storage prices vary, but they typically charge $7-$20 per bag per day.
- Hours: Wrap-A-Bag is open 24/7.
Beyond on-site airport facilities, several off-site luggage storage options are available in New York City. These services can be especially helpful if you want to explore the city luggage-free or if the on-site airport facilities are fully booked.
LuggageHero is a luggage storage network that allows travelers to store their luggage in local shops, cafes, and hotels. They operate in many locations around New York City and offer a convenient pick-up and drop-off service.
- Locations: Various locations in New York City.
- Prices: They charge per hour ($1 per hour) with a maximum daily cap ($8).
- Hours: Operation hours vary according to the opening hours of the storage location. However, most are open from early morning until late at night.
Another popular luggage storage network is Stasher. Partnering with hotels and local businesses, they provide secure and insured storage solutions.
- Locations: Various locations around New York City.
- Prices: Stasher charges a flat fee of $6 per item for 24 hours.
- Hours: Operation hours depend on the location, but most are open 24/7.
Vertoe is a citywide luggage storage service in New York. With more than 100 locations, Vertoe offers a flexible solution to travelers.
- Locations: Various locations around New York City.
- Prices: Vertoe charges $5.95 per item per day.
- Hours: Most locations operate 24/7.
When considering a luggage storage option, here are some additional tips to ensure a smooth experience:
- Check the maximum storage period: Some facilities may have restrictions on the maximum number of days you can store your luggage.
- Book in advance: Particularly during peak travel seasons, storage facilities can fill up quickly.
- Pack smart: Remove all valuables or irreplaceable items from your luggage before storing it. Most companies do not cover these items under their insurance policies.
- Remember pick-up times: Some off-site options may have specific hours for picking up your luggage. Make sure to check and plan your schedule accordingly.
Traveling can be a breeze when you don’t have to worry about your luggage. Whether you choose on-site or off-site storage, JFK and New York City offer plenty of options to make your travel experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Safe travels!
Born and raised amidst the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple, I’ve witnessed the city’s many exciting phases. When I’m not exploring the city or penning down my thoughts, you can find me sipping on a cup of coffee at my favorite local café, playing chess or planning my next trip. For the last twelve years, I’ve been living in South Williamsburg with my partner Berenike.