On any given day, Pennsylvania station, or as any New Yorker calls it “Penn Station,” probably has more going on than almost any other train station in the world. Constructed in 1910, it serves as a hub where travelers and commuters can use the Amtrak, the New York City subway system, the Long Island Railroad, and the New Jersey Transit. As a result, Penn station connects people from New York, New Jersey, and Long Island, bringing them together and ferrying them to their destination; is it any wonder that it is always so busy?
Does Penn Station Have Luggage Storage
Unfortunately, the answer is no.
After the September 11th attacks, New York tightened its security measures in its stations, removing all storage lockers in most of the major stations, including Penn Station. In fact, most forms of on-site luggage storage have been terminated, and there aren’t even live luggage attendants anymore.
Nevertheless, there is one option available for anyone with an Amtrak ticket. Amtrak offers its ticket holders the ability to store their luggage inside of Penn Station for the price of $10 per piece, and even though this service may not seem cheap, it isn’t exorbitantly expensive either. Amtrak also offers the same service to non-ticket holders but for the price of $20 per piece and only if there is space available.
Luggage Storage Apps
In response to the removal of storage lockers in stations, several services have popped up to fill this supply gap. One such service draws heavy inspiration from the sharing economy (you know, the same business model that fueled companies like Airbnb and Uber).
A popular way to store your luggage near Penn Station is by using one of the various luggage storage apps available. These platforms connect travelers with local businesses that offer secure and affordable luggage storage. Some popular options include:
Stasher partners with local businesses and hotels to offer secure luggage storage. They have multiple locations near Penn Station, and their prices begin at $6 per item per day. Stasher’s user-friendly app makes it easy to find and book storage.
With over 300 locations across NYC, Vertoe provides a convenient luggage storage solution for travelers. You can book online and access their storage services within a few minutes’ walk from Penn Station. Prices start at $5.95 per item per day.
LuggageHero offers a pay-per-hour luggage storage service, with rates starting at $1 per item per hour. They have several locations near Penn Station, making it a convenient choice for short-term storage needs.
Remember to read customer reviews and check for insurance coverage before booking your luggage storage through any app.
Hotels Offering Luggage Storage for Guests
The following hotels near Penn Station offer luggage storage services for their guests. While the services are generally free for guests, it is advisable to confirm the details with the hotel before your arrival.
- The New Yorker, A Wyndham Hotel: Located just a few blocks from Penn Station, this historic hotel offers luggage storage services for its guests, making it a convenient option for travelers arriving early or departing late.
- Moxy NYC Chelsea: This trendy boutique hotel is situated a short walk from Penn Station and provides luggage storage services for its guests. The hotel also features stylish décor and a rooftop bar with stunning views of the city.
- Hilton New York Fashion District: A 10-minute walk from Penn Station, this Hilton property offers luggage storage services for its guests. The hotel is located in the heart of the Fashion District, offering easy access to shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
Hotels Offering Luggage Storage for Non-Guests
Some hotels near Penn Station also provide luggage storage services for non-guests, usually for a fee. Here are a few options to consider:
- Hotel Pennsylvania: Located directly across the street from Penn Station, Hotel Pennsylvania offers luggage storage services to non-guests for a nominal fee. This service can be particularly useful if you’re only in the city for a short time and need a convenient place to store your bags.
- Stewart Hotel: Situated a few blocks from Penn Station, the Stewart Hotel offers luggage storage services to non-guests for a fee. This service can be helpful if you’re exploring the city before checking in or after checking out of your accommodations.
Before using luggage storage services at any hotel, make sure to call ahead and confirm the availability, fees, and any specific policies they might have.
Things To Do Around Penn Station
Once you’ve secured your luggage, it’s time to explore the attractions near Penn Station. Here are a few recommendations:
- Madison Square Garden: Just a short walk from Penn Station, Madison Square Garden is an iconic sports and entertainment venue. You can catch a New York Knicks basketball game or watch a concert featuring some of the world’s biggest stars.
- The High Line: This unique elevated park was built on a former railway line and offers stunning views of the city. The High Line is about a mile away from Penn Station, making it a great place to unwind and enjoy some green space.
- Chelsea Market: A 20-minute walk from Penn Station, Chelsea Market is a popular food and shopping destination. Explore the unique shops, grab a bite to eat at one of the many eateries, or enjoy the lively atmosphere.
- The Empire State Building: One of the most famous landmarks in the world, the Empire State Building is a must-see attraction. It’s located just a 15-minute walk from Penn Station, making it easily accessible.
Although Penn Station no longer offers lockers for luggage storage, there are still plenty of convenient options available. By using luggage storage apps like Vertoe, Stasher, or LuggageHero, you can securely store your bags and enjoy your time in the city. Once you’ve dropped off your luggage, don’t miss the chance to explore nearby attractions such as Madison Square Garden, the High Line, Chelsea Market, and the Empire State Building.